The human body is composed of about 55 to 75% water. When a person fails to consume enough water, it affects almost every bodily function from the organs to mood, and metabolism. Drinking water helps the body work, look, and feel better.
Benefits of Drinking Water
The body needs plenty of water to work properly. Water is useful for wellness, literally head to toe. Here are six of many ways water benefits the body.
- Drinking Water Improves Reaction Times and Mental Performance. Elite athletes and office workers were subjects to one study that found that the lack of water slowed reaction time and mental function. The subjects were only 1-2% dehydrated during the tests.
- Water Can Make You Feel Full, Which Can Help With Weight Loss. A 2010 study found that people who drank two glasses of water before eating their meals not only lost more weight, but were able to keep it off.
- Water Helps Cells Function Efficiently. Drinking enough water can help boost cell function efficiency, giving the metabolism a huge boost too. This means people who drink adequate amounts of water are likely to consume less, and they will be able to process what they do eat more efficiently. This can aid weight loss efforts. Experts suggest that int only takes a few minutes for water to improve the body’s metabolism.
- Water Helps Flush Out Toxins & Waste. The kidneys process around 200 quarts of blood each day. They work to filter out toxins and metabolic waste from the body. Dehydration reduces blood volume and affects the efficiency of the kidneys. The body also uses water to flush waste out through the digestive system and perspiration.
- Drinking Water Improves Optimism. The Journal of Nutrition published a study in 2012 stating that even mild dehydration causes subjects to perceive tasks as much harder than those who were well-hydrated. Subjects suffering from dehydration were also more prone to develop headaches, suffer from fatigue, and be in a bad mood.
- Water Helps with a Clear Complexion. Some people assume that if they drink water, their skin will no longer be dry. There are benefits, even though the skin doesn’t perk up like the leaves of a plant do when watered. When we drink water, it goes through our regular digestive process and is absorbed and distributed in our system. So how does drinking water improve the skin’s complexion? It helps the complexion because water helps the body flush out toxins and waste that affect the skin and complexion. Once the waste products are flushed out, the skin clears up.
What Happens When You Don’t Drink Enough Water?
On the other hand, if you don’t drink enough water, dehydration can cause many problems for you. Some of the side effects of dehydration include:
- Persistent Headaches. One of the first signs you are dehydrated is a throbbing headache. However, if the lack of water is the cause, drinking a large glass of water or twoshould make it go away quickly.
- Weight Gain. A lot of times, people mistake being thirsty for hunger. They will eat more when they really just need to drink some water. Sometimes, after drinking a glass of water, the hunger cue will go away.
- Dry Mouth. If a person is not drinking enough water, you might also have a hard time producing saliva. This can make it difficult to talk, swallow, and sometimes breathe. This is quickly solved by drinking some water.
- Fatigue. If a person is not consuming enough water, energy levels can fall and fatigue and brain fog can set in. Drkinking enough water can help increase energy levels and clear a person’s ability to think.
- Dull Skin. Dehydration can show up on the face in the form of ashy, dry skin. It may appear less radiant, lose elasticity, and be less plump.
- Sluggish Bowels. The colon contains water receptors. They pull water from the body to make stool softer. When a person doesn’t get enough water, it can lead to constipation and harder stools. This can also lead to cramps and abdominal pain.
Reasons For Not Drinking Enough Water
There may be some things standing in the way of consuming the water the body needs to function properly and for you to feel better. If your local tap water has a horrible smell, which is very common, you will avoid drinking it. For some people, their tap water doesn’t taste clean or has a bad after taste, so they avoid consuming it. Many people choose bottled water as an alternative, but this can get expensive. Any of these situations may prohibit a person from drinking enough water for their body to function properly.
Let Better Waters Help!
The good news is that you can have great tasting water for a fraction of the cost of bottled water. An under-sink water filtration system from Better Waters will remove toxins and impurities that cause water to smell or taste bad. When you can get clean, clear water from your tap, you are more likely to drink more of it. You’ll be able to reap the benefits of a well-hydrated body! Contact us today, and let us help you start feeling better!